Three facilities associated with Basho

Basho Memorial Museum

Basho Memorial Museum

Basho Memorial Museum   Basho Memorial Museum

As a tribute to Basho this museum was built in 1959 with funds donated by Kanbe Mannosuke. Its Basho Library preserves Basho’s own writings as well as many documents representing pre-modern renga and haikai literature, which are on display. >> MAP

Admission Adults: 300 yen (group: 200 yen)
Elementary, junior high and high school students: 100 yen (group: 60 yen * chaperons go free)
* Group rates apply to groups of 30 or more people.
Preschool children: free
Visitors with certificate of disability: free
Hours 8:30 am-5 pm * Last admission 4:30 pm
Closed Year-end and New Year holidays
May occasionally close temporarily to replace exhibits
Tel +81 (0595) 21-2219
Official website http://www.basho-bp.jp/

Basho’s birth house

BASYO-O SEIKA

Basho was born in 1644 in present-day , Iga City. From childhood, he served the family of Todo Shinshichiro, a samurai general in charge of Iga region of the Todo clan, and studied haikai under Sengin, the head of the family. After Sengin’s death Basho resigned from the lord’s family. Later he went on to Edo (Now Tokyo) and became a haikai master. His original pen name was Tosei. At age 37 he published Tosei Montei Dokugin Nijukkasen (Twenty Solo Kasen by Tosei’s Disciples), thereby gaining peominence in the haikai world. Eventually he established his new Basho Style haikai. He passed away at the age of 51 on October 12, 1694 while traveling in Osaka. >> MAP

Admission Adults: 300 yen (group: 200 yen)
Elementary, junior high and high school students: 100 yen (group: 60 yen * chaperons go free)
* Group rates apply to groups of 30 or more people.
Preschool children: free
Visitors with certificate of disability: free
Hours 8:30 am-5 pm * Last admission 4:30 pm
Closed Year-end and New Year holidays
Tel +81 (0595) 24-2711

MINOMUSHIAN

MINOMUSHIAN

This is one of Basho’s five hermitages, the other four being Mumyoan, Sairokuan, Torokuan, and Hyochikuan. Only Minomushian remains today. It originally belonged to Hattori Doho, one of Basho’s disciples. To commemorate the completion of the hermitage in March 1688, Basho wrote a verse: “minomushi no ne wo kikini koyo kusa no io(come and listen to the sound of bagworms thatched hermitage)”.
The name of the hermitage was thereby taken from the verse. At this hermitage Doho compiled Basho’s sayings and produced Sanzoshi (Three Color Notebooks). >> MAP

Admission Adults: 300 yen (group: 200 yen)
Elementary, junior high and high school students: 100 yen (group: 60 yen * chaperons go free)
* Group rates apply to groups of 30 or more people.
Preschool children: free
Visitors with certificate of disability: free
Hours 8:30 am-5 pm * Last admission 4:30 pm
Closed Year-end and New Year holidays
Tel +81 (0595) 23-8921